Ready to Spring Ahead?
Although Florida voted a couple years ago to no longer participate in Daylight Savings time, we're still falling behind and then springing ahead. This weekend we're Springing Ahead to enjoy our gorgeous weather a little later in the evenings. Another great perk of the clock moving forward is that it won't get dark in our neck of the woods until about 7:30PM.
Break out your best grilling recipes as grill season commences (Although in FL does it ever really stop?) and get ready to enjoy your backyard. One question though - does your backyard scream "hot mess honey-do-list waiting to happen" or Tropical Oasis?
Check out this recent remodel we did to a waterfront backyard and let us know what you think.
We can handle all aspects of your backyard remodel - from conceptualization to sketching it out to getting the job done. Click the Let's Chat button on this page to get the process started!
Right now we're also in the middle of our March Mulch Madness where any mulch job receives 10% off our already very low prices! Read more about best tips and tricks for mulching like a pro here: https://www.fastlawns.net/post/we-re-gearing-up-for-march-mulch-madness - there's also a handy mulch calculator and tons of great information about what mulches you commonly see in FL (and they're different from the mulches up north!)
So what are the steps for turning a backyard mess into a Tropical Oasis? Keep reading, because I'll give you the basic steps for what goes into transforming your yard into somewhere you love being with your family in the evenings or anytime!
1. Cruise Pinterest, Google, and other places to figure out what you like and don't like. Do you like flowers? Do you like succulents? Do you like minimalist landscapes or landscapes with a ton of plants?
(Click here to go right to our common Florida plants page)
2. How will you be using the space? Will you be doing a lot of outdoor entertaining? Is it a place where you'd like to unwind with a glass of wine and some music in the evening? What do you envision the space to be like?
3. Sketch out your design (if you're good at that kind of thing) or download an app like Iscape and try your hand at designing the space yourself! Or call a pro (like us!) and we'll do that part for you.
4. Price out the elements of your design and decide what parts are worth the splurge and what parts you should be more conservative. As a rule of thumb - splurges that are almost always worth the investment are palm trees, fountains, lighting, paver patios, fire pits, outdoor kitchens. If you go cheap on any of those elements, you're likely to be disappointed. If creating the space of your dreams turns out to be way over budget, break it down into bite-sized pieces or phases of the project and budget accordingly.
5. Figure out what phases you'd like to do yourself and what phases you'd like to hire a professional for. Sometimes, an active DIY'er can complete part of the project on their own and hire a professional for the parts of the job they'd rather not tackle. Other times, the demands of life limit the amount of free time you have to tackle a project. In those cases, it's much easier to just hire a reputable contractor to complete all the work.
If you choose to hire a contractor, ask to see their insurance and references. Are they insured? Do they have a license for the type of work you need them to complete? Have the completed similar projects to the one you're considering? Doing your due diligence is a must when hiring to protect yourself and your home from less than stellar companies. Ask around your neighborhood, family, and friends for referrals too.
6. Get 'er done! Whether you choose the DIY or the contractor route, map out what the steps will be to complete your project and make sure you allow ample time (and budget) for completion. When I was growing up, my father was an avid do-it-yourselfer and I spend a l to of summers helping him complete projects in our home. One piece of advice he mentioned to me that has always stuck with me is when you're tackling something on your own - figure out how much it will cost you - and then add 40% to that number and that's usually where your budget needs to be. I've found that to be the case more often than not.
Whether your yard needs a haircut, a facelift, or a gut job Fast Lawnscapes is here to help! We can manage any project from new sod, adding curb appeal to your front landscape beds, adding to your mulch beds or adding privacy around your pool cage. Call us today at 776-5111 and make your yard the envy of the neighborhood!